Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Dollmaker

Last spring I was approached by some wonderful people, Lisa Cooper and Dan McComb of Visual Contact to see if I would be interested in being a part of their Maker series of videos. I get a lot of emails from people wanting me to participate in this or do that, and a lot of them never amount to anything. So before proceeding I went to check out Lisa and Dan's work and was totally blow away by the quality of their work. So I said YES sign me up... “sure I will somehow fit that in between this show and that conference.”  Just earlier this month that seed that was planted and diligently nurtured  by Lisa and Dan bloomed into an this amazing video. The Dollmaker is visually delightful  and also speaks to poignantly  to "why" I make the art I do. Thank you Lisa and Dan for the huge amount of work it took to make this video come into being.

 

 

It was nerve wracking to be filmed while working and seeing yourself on video not so much fun…. I was in total denial about the size of my double chin.  LOL

But the visual they captured of my studio are creepy and beautiful.  I do have to admit that my favorite part of the video if I had to pick one is the narrative. We sat down and did an interview for 45 mins while filming and then they edited it down to the parts that would work with the video.  The words that were chosen are PERFECT.  They really speak to why I make the art I make and what it means to me. I want to share some of my favorite lines with you…



“The doll is an icon of our humanness and we have idealized it but the reality is we are not ideal.

I want to give them the nitty gritty rough tough life they deserve

It has the energy of the people that have used it held it and those pieces speak to me

I was actually raised to more like the pristine pretty doll that sits on the cupboard and is revered and that doll is kind of…. boring

I want to be the doll that lives a life that isn’t afraid, that makes mistakes. That makes choices that aren’t the right choices.

It is the idea that sacred is also sexual, the pristine is also dirty.

That living life and having the scars of life is valuable.

We are afraid of death and darkness and dirty and shadow, we want to pretend that doesn’t exist we don’t want to talk about it we don’t want to look at it, we want to put it in the back closet and the reality is it here it’s with us all the time.

I want to take that darkness and shadow and that dirt and make it beautiful, because it is ….beautiful.”



If you or someone you know need high quality video word done I highly recommend Lisa and Dan.

connectwithyouraudience2

1 comment:

Melanie Seppeler said...

That was an awesome video! Already shared in on FB! Love the dark, shadowy setting and your narration was really hit home to me.

pintrest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...